Were you or a loved one hurt in a car accident in Jacksonville? If so, you’ll need a Jacksonville car accident lawyer with a track record of success in fighting for victims just like you.
That’s why Baggett Law should be your first call after your car crash. We’re a husband and wife team—both trained in highly competitive corporate law firms. Our passion is standing up for individuals who shouldn’t have to foot the bill when someone else has caused them harm.
Since 2012, we’ve been helping injured victims throughout Northeast Florida get the compensation they deserve for medical bills, lost wages, and pain and suffering. We’ve successfully recovered tens of millions of dollars for clients over the years. Call us at (904)-396-1100 or contact our Jacksonville, FL law office online for your free consultation to see how we can help you, too.
How Our Jacksonville Personal Injury Lawyers Can Help After a Car Accident
At Baggett Law, we know how devastating car accidents are. In addition to needing time for your physical recovery, you have to deal with medical bills piling up, missing work, and repairing or replacing your vehicle.
Let the Jacksonville personal injury lawyers at Baggett Law help with what we do best—doing everything we can to get you the money you need right now.
When you hire us, we can:
- Investigate your accident to pinpoint the cause
- Locate and interview witnesses
- Carefully calculate damages to include all of your losses
- Hire experts to support your damages
- Handle all claims and communications with insurance companies
- Send an award-winning trial lawyer to fight for you in court when necessary
Our car accident attorneys have years of experience fighting aggressively for injured victims and their families. We’ll be with you every step of the way. Our clients continually tell us that we made the process easy for them and that they felt like family.
Most importantly, we know what it takes to win.
Jacksonville, FL Car Accident Statistics (December 2021 Update)
On average, over the last four years, there have been about 62 crashes every single day in Duval County, which includes Jacksonville. A startling trend shows an increase in the number of fatalities despite a decrease in the number of total accidents.
According to data from the Florida Department of Highway Safety and Motor Vehicles (FLHSMV), the accidents decreased by 14% from 2018 to 2020:
- 2018: 24,212
- 2019: 23,473
- 2020: 21,211
- 2021: 21,956 (preliminary data through December 2)
While not yet finalized, data through early December shows that crashes are slightly increasing after seeing a significant decrease in traffic volume due to the COVID 19 pandemic.
However, deaths from traffic crashes increased by 31% between 2018 and 2020:
- 2018: 143
- 2019: 158
- 2020: 187
- 2021: 174 (preliminary data through December 2)
Again, numbers for 2021 are not yet finalized, but so far, deadly crashes are down slightly compared to the prior year.
Injuries from crashes, however, are up in 2021 compared to 2020:
- 2018: 13,858
- 2019: 13,454
- 2020: 12,024
- 2021: 12,639 (preliminary data through Dec. 2)
Reckless behavior behind the wheel, including speeding and not wearing seat belts, seems to be a factor in the increase in traffic fatalities nationwide during the pandemic.
Where Do Most Car Accidents Happen in Duval County?
Car crashes can happen anywhere around Jacksonville and Duval County. But some areas are more dangerous than others.
One road stood out in a recent investigative analysis of crash data: Blanding Boulevard.
Blanding Boulevard was in the top three spots for most crashes around Duval County in 2020:
- Blanding Blvd. and Youngerman Circle (116 crashes)
- Blanding Blvd. and Argyle Forest Blvd. (90 crashes)
- Blanding Blvd. and Collins Rd. (72 crashes)
- Atlantic Blvd. and Southside Blvd. (69 crashes)
- 102rd St. and Ricker Rd. (66 crashes)
- 103rd St. and Blanding Blvd. (59 crashes)
- Beach Blvd. and Hodges Blvd. (56 crashes)
- Beach Blvd. and Southside Blvd. (55 crashes)
- Baymeadows Rd. and Southside Blvd. (54 crashes)
- Claire Ln. and San Jose Blvd. (51 crashes)
A recent investigative news report shows that these areas around I-95 in Jacksonville were particularly dangerous in 2020:
- Near Lem Turner Road (58 crashes, 3 fatalities)
- Between Kings Road and Forest Street (195 crashes, 33 injuries, 2 fatalities)
- Near Emerson (125 crashes, 23 injuries)
That’s 378 crashes in these three areas, resulting in five fatalities.
Another study recently named these three Jacksonville roads as the “riskiest” in all of Florida:
- I-10 and Roosevelt Boulevard
- I-295 and Commonwealth
- I-95 and Myrtle Avenue North
High levels of texting and driving create high risks in these areas.
What is My Car Accident Case Worth?
Every case is unique. We’d be doing a disservice if we tried to put a price on any car accident claim without knowing all the details. The best way to get a better idea of how much your case could be worth is to come see us and tell us your story. We don’t charge anything for a case evaluation, so there’s no risk to you.
Some questions we’ll ask that will affect the value of your case include:
- How severe are your injuries?
- What’s the extent of your lost wages?
- Are you expected to make a full recovery?
- Did you seek medical attention right away after your accident?
- Did you in any way contribute to the cause of the accident?
Accidents involving severe injuries and death tend to bring higher awards. We can assure you that we’ll pursue every avenue for recovery. And you don’t have to worry about paying us anything unless and until we win your case.
I Was in a Car Accident – What Kind of Damages Can I Get?
You can seek compensation for all damages related to your accident—economic and non-economic.
Economic damages include things like:
- Medical bills
- Lost wages (past and future)
- Property damage
- Cost of rehabilitation
- Medical devices and equipment
- Travel to and from medical appointments
- Nursing care
This generally covers anything you have to spend money on related to your accident. After all, if someone else caused your accident, they should have to foot the bill.
Non-economic damages could include compensation for:
- Mental anguish
- Physical pain
- Loss of consortium
- Loss of enjoyment of everyday activities
- And more
These are less tangible damages, but they are things that define your quality of life. They are incredibly important. We know it’s hard to put a dollar figure on these things. But we do our best to get you compensation for the ways that the accident has changed your life—whether that’s temporarily or permanently.
Can I Still Recover Compensation If I’m Being Blamed For a Car Accident in Florida?
Yes. There are a couple of reasons this is true.
No-Fault Insurance Benefits
First, the insurance laws in Florida require you to carry Personal Injury Protection (PIP) coverage. PIP is available to cover a portion of your medical expenses and lost wages up to $10,000, regardless of who caused the accident.
But PIP may not cover all of your medical bills. And it doesn’t compensate you for property damage or pain and suffering caused by your crash.
Not every situation will allow you to sue the at-fault party for damages. An experienced Jacksonville personal injury attorney will be able to evaluate your case and advise you of your legal options.
Comparative Negligence Law in Florida
If you can file a lawsuit to recover damages in addition to your PIP benefits, you can still receive compensation as long as you aren’t entirely at fault. Florida law requires your financial award to be reduced by the portion of the accident caused by your own negligence.
For example, if you’re deemed to be 40% at fault in a case worth $500,000, your total award would still be $300,000 after a 40% reduction.
Baggett Law is ready to fight back against any unfair allegations that you’re to blame. That can make a significant difference in the amount of compensation you could receive.
Car Accident Injuries Can Be Catastrophic
We see a wide range of injuries from vehicle accidents. Truck accidents, for example, tend to almost always have catastrophic injuries due to the size and weight of the vehicles involved.
But even fender-benders can cause more serious injuries than you might imagine.
Some common injuries from car accidents include:
- Brain injuries
- Broken bones
- Airbag injuries
- Internal organ damage
- Wrongful death of a loved one
- And more
We’ll work closely with your medical providers and other experts as necessary to make sure we have a clear picture of your future medical needs. Your compensation should include everything you need for ongoing medical care.
What Causes Most Car Accidents?
Most collisions are preventable. They’re usually caused because someone is in a hurry or distracted.
Often, motor vehicle accidents are caused by:
- Distracted drivers
- Unsafe lane changes
- Following too closely
- Driving under the influence of drugs or alcohol
- Aggressive driving
- Poorly designed intersections
- Obstruction in the road
- Poor signage at construction sites
Our investigation will take into account every possible cause of your accident. No detail is too small.
Representing Clients in All Types of Car Accident Cases
Car accidents can happen in any number of ways.
Baggett Law routinely represents clients injured in all automobile accidents, including:
- Rear-end collisions
- T-bone accidents
- Intersection accidents
- Head-on collisions
- Hit-and-run accidents
- Lane change accidents
- Rollover crashes
- Left-turn accidents
- Construction zone accidents
- Large truck accidents
- Highway crashes
- Accidents involving pedestrians, bicyclists, and motorcycles
- Crashed with uninsured motorists
- Fatal car crashes
- And more
There’s no motor vehicle crash too complex or difficult for our lawyers.
Our Jacksonville law firm has extensive experience investigating and litigating everything from fender-benders to multi-vehicle crashes involving commercial trucks.
How Do I Prove Negligence After a Car Accident in Florida?
To prove negligence, you’ll need to prove that the at-fault driver failed to exercise reasonable care under the circumstances.
You’ll have to prove each of the following elements of negligence:
- Duty: the defendant owed you a duty not to cause harm
- Breach: the defendant failed to uphold that duty
- Causation: the defendant’s conduct resulted in harm to you
- Damages: you suffered damages as a result
Even personal injury cases that seem straightforward are rarely simple to prove. Insurance companies try to get out of paying what they owe. They put up a tough fight and often make unfounded claims that you were responsible.
Our trial lawyers have a record of success, thanks to their background in corporate litigation. They don’t back down, they present compelling evidence to support your case, and they know how to minimize the other side’s unsubstantiated claims.
How Long Do I Have to File a Lawsuit After a Car Accident in Florida?
For accidents involving injuries, you’ll have four years. For wrongful death cases, you’ll have two years to file a lawsuit.
But, because Florida is a no-fault state, you’ll need to submit a claim to your own insurance company first. Your Personal Injury Protection coverage will be your first source of financial recovery. You can only file a lawsuit in certain circumstances.
An experienced car accident lawyer can help you through the claims process and determine your best course of action.
I Was in a Car Wreck in Jacksonville, FL – What Should I Do?
A car wreck can turn your life upside down in an instant. You’re bound to be shaken up after a crash. The decisions you make immediately after your crash can be critical, especially if you file a claim or lawsuit for damages.
It’s important to take a breath and try to keep a few things in mind immediately after the wreck:
- Call the police: Dial 911 and report the accident. They’ll take care of getting help for anyone who needs it.
- Don’t apologize: Sometimes people almost automatically say they’re sorry when an accident occurs – even if it’s not their fault. But even a simple offhand apology might make it seem like you’re accepting responsibility for the collision. You’re shaken up and probably don’t know exactly what happened. Prematurely admitting fault could prevent you from recovering the compensation you deserve.
- Take pictures: Try to document the scene as much as possible. Take some photos or videos of the area where the accident occurred, damaged vehicles and other property, and your injuries. This can help jog your memory later and can provide valuable information to your attorney.
- Seek medical attention: Always see a doctor after a car accident, even if you don’t think you’re injured. Many injuries aren’t visible or apparent, especially when you’re feeling overwhelmed right after the crash. A medical record created right after your accident is important to connect your injuries to the crash.
- Don’t make a statement to insurance adjusters: Adjusters might try to make a settlement offer very quickly. They’re hoping to get to you before you hire an attorney. They’re hoping to minimize the amount they have to pay you. It’s best to let a lawyer handle those negotiations.
It’s really in your best interest to contact a car accident attorney as soon as possible. They can evaluate your case and protect you against pressure from the insurance companies. They’ll help you determine the best course of action to pursue the compensation you’re due.
Contact Our Jacksonville Car Accident Lawyers For a Free Consultation
If you’ve been injured or lost a family member in a tragic vehicle accident, our Jacksonville car accident lawyers at Baggett Law are the ones you want on your side.
We give you our undivided personal attention throughout your case. We will be sure your story is told. And we’ll do everything we can to get you every dollar you deserve for all of your injuries and suffering.
Consultations are completely confidential and absolutely free. Call today to set up your appointment at our top-rated Jacksonville, FL law office today.
What Our Clients Are Saying About Us
Read more of our client reviews here.
Local Auto Repair Shops
- Tires Plus – 9559 Baymeadows Rd, Jacksonville, FL 32256
- KLD’s Mobile Auto Repair – 8214 Princeton Square Blvd E, Jacksonville, FL 32256
- Pep Boys – 8397 Baymeadows Rd, Jacksonville, FL 32256
- Accurate Automotive Service Department – 7840 Philips Hwy, Jacksonville, FL 32256
- Euro Spec Inc. – 8737 Philips Hwy, Jacksonville, FL 32256
*Disclaimer – we do not endorse these companies or profit from having them listed on our website.