Were you or a loved one hurt because of a doctor’s mistake in Jacksonville, FL? You may be entitled to hold the negligent healthcare provider liable for damages. An experienced Jacksonville medical malpractice lawyer at Baggett Law Personal Injury Lawyers can help you fight to recover compensation for medical bills, lost wages, and more.
Our lawyers have been fighting for injured clients across Northeast Florida for over a decade. We’ve recovered tens of millions of dollars in compensation over the years.
Table of Contents
How Baggett Law Personal Injury Lawyers Can Help With a Medical Malpractice Claim in Jacksonville
Hospitals and insurance companies have endless resources. When you’re hurt because of a doctor’s mistake, they’ll use those resources to minimize their financial liability. An experienced Jacksonville personal injury lawyer at Baggett Law Personal Injury Lawyers can help level the playing field.
Collectively, we have over 60 years of experience helping clients like you. We’ve been recognized by Super Lawyers every year since 2009. We’ve also received the Martindale-Hubbell 2021 Platinum Client Champion Award for our exceptional client service.
When you hire our AV-Preeminent rated law firm to represent you, we will:
- Review your medical records and gather evidence to support your claim
- Hire respected medical experts to testify on your behalf, as required under Florida law
- Identify the doctor or medical provider’s error
- Build a persuasive case that the insurance companies will take seriously
- Negotiate with the insurance companies to maximize your settlement
Our Jacksonville personal injury attorneys are always ready to protect your rights in court if necessary. In fact, we were identified as one of the Top 100 Civil Plaintiff Trial Lawyers in Florida by National Trial Lawyers.
Are you ready to learn more about how we can use our skills to your advantage? Call for a free consultation today.
What is Medical Malpractice?
All medical professionals in the state of Florida owe their patients a duty of care. When they fail to provide the proper standard of care, they can be guilty of malpractice. Most often, medical malpractice lawsuits are brought against doctors. However, any healthcare provider can be liable.
Examples of potentially liable parties include:
- Doctors and surgeons
- Specialists, including OBGYNs, cardiologists, anesthesiologists, and neurosurgeons
- Lab technicians
- Physical therapists
- Medical clinics
- Nursing homes
Medical malpractice can come in many different forms. At Baggett Law Personal Injury Lawyers, we handle all types of medical negligence claims in Jacksonville, including those involving:
- Surgical errors
- Anesthesia errors
- Diagnostic errors
- Birth injuries
- Nursing negligence
- Hospital negligence
- Prescription drug errors
- Emergency room errors
- Pharmaceutical errors
- Product liability, including defective medical devices and dangerous drugs
- And more
Do you suspect that a doctor or nurse made a mistake during your treatment? Call our Jacksonville medical malpractice attorneys to schedule a free case review today.
How Common is Medical Malpractice in Jacksonville, FL?
According to a widely-cited study by Johns Hopkins, more than 250,000 patients die from medical negligence each year in the U.S. That makes medical malpractice the third-leading cause of death. Medical errors leave thousands more people suffering from reduced life expectancies and worsened conditions.
Doctors pay billions of dollars each year to settle medical malpractice lawsuits. Florida is no exception. In fact, reports show that Florida healthcare professionals paid more in medical malpractice settlements and verdicts than most U.S. states between 2004 and 2018. Only New York and Pennsylvania had higher payout rates.
The most common types of medical malpractice claims involve:
- Diagnostic errors
- Surgical malpractice
- Treatment-related errors
Nearly 30% of medical malpractice cases resulted in death. Another 19% of all cases resulted in serious permanent injury.
What is My Jacksonville Medical Malpractice Case Worth?
The value of a medical malpractice claim depends on highly unique factors. Each and every case is different. That’s why our lawyers devote our personal attention and resources to every client we represent.
The value of your case might be influenced by:
- The type of harm you’ve suffered
- Your future prognosis and need for ongoing medical care
- How the mistake impacted your lifestyle and ability to work
- The nature of the doctor’s mistake
- The identity of the responsible parties
- Your family’s pain and suffering
The liable parties might try to diminish the harm you’ve suffered. Our lawyers can help you fight back. Contact our experienced attorneys in Jacksonville today to learn more about how we can help calculate the value of your claim.
What Types of Damages Are Available to Victims of Medical Malpractice?
The money you’ll recover in a medical malpractice lawsuit is called “damages.” Victims in medical malpractice lawsuits are entitled to damages for their economic (financial) losses. They can also recover non-economic damages for personal and emotional suffering.
At Baggett Law Personal Injury Lawyers, our team will fight to recover fair compensation for:
- Current and past medical expenses
- Future medical costs for treating a worsened condition
- Lost wages
- Diminished earning capacity
- Rehabilitation and specialized care
- Pain and suffering
- Emotional distress
- Diminished quality of life
- Loss of enjoyment of life
- Physical disfigurement and scarring
- Loss of consortium
In rare cases, a doctor or hospital may be liable for punitive damages. These damages are designed to punish the defendant for gross negligence or intentional wrongdoing.
Do you have questions about your right to compensation? Call our law offices to learn more about the money you may be entitled to receive today.
We’ll Fight to Recover Compensation for All of Your Medical Malpractice Injuries
The injuries caused by medical negligence can be catastrophic. Many victims suffer:
- A need for more extensive treatment
- Worsened underlying conditions
- Reduced life expectancy
- Serious infections
- Sepsis or septic shock
- Blood clots or strokes
- Organ damage
- Brain damage
- Heart failure
- Wrongful death
Medical errors can also cause extreme psychological damage and damage to personal relationships. Victims often suffer from severe depression, anxiety and even PTSD.
At Baggett Law Personal Injury Lawyers, we’ll fight to recover fair compensation for all the harm you’ve suffered. Call for a free initial consultation today to learn more about how our compassionate attorneys can help with your case.
What Causes Most Cases of Medical Malpractice in Jacksonville, Florida?
The medical field is a difficult profession today. Doctors and nurses are often overworked and exhausted. Any number of things can happen to harm a patient.
Typically, the most common causes of medical malpractice lawsuits include:
- Failure to diagnose
- Failure to order the correct diagnostic tests
- Misinterpreting test results
- Failure to recognize a patient’s symptoms
- Failure to refer a patient to a specialist when appropriate
- Failure to obtain a full patient history
- Lack of informed consent
- Leaving surgical instruments in a patient’s body
- Wrong-site surgeries
- Administering the wrong dose of medication or anesthesia
- Delayed treatment
- Failure to provide proper post-surgical care
- Failure to monitor a patient
- Hospital-acquired infections caused by unsanitary conditions
- Lack of experience
- Errors in communicating or mistakes in the patient’s chart
These mistakes can have serious and far-reaching consequences. Your family shouldn’t have to suffer because a health care provider failed to provide adequate care. Baggett Law Personal Injury Lawyers is here to stand up for your legal rights. Just call our law firm to schedule a free case evaluation to learn more.
How Do I Prove I Was Harmed by Medical Negligence in Florida?
Not every medical mistake gives a patient the right to sue for malpractice. First, you’ll have to prove that the mistake rises to the level of medical negligence.
To have a legitimate medical malpractice claim, you must establish:
- You were a patient, and the responsible medical provider owed you a legal duty of care
- The scope of the at-fault party’s duty of care
- Some type of deviation from that standard of care, or breach of duty
- The mistake caused you to suffer some type of harm
It isn’t always easy to prove that a doctor deviated from the standard of care. Our lawyers will bring in expert witnesses to show what the doctor should have done under the circumstances. With the help of experts, we’ll work to prove that a reasonable doctor would have acted differently.
How Long Do I Have to File a Medical Malpractice Lawsuit in Florida?
The statute of limitations in medical malpractice cases is two years. You must take legal action within two years of the date when you reasonably should have discovered your injury.
Unlike car accident cases, the clock doesn’t always start running on the date the mistake happened. Often, it takes patients weeks, months, or even years to discover the cause of their injury.
If you’re worried about the statute of limitations, it never hurts to speak with a lawyer early. We’re always here to help, so give us a quick call for more information today.
Contact a Jacksonville Medical Malpractice Lawyer for a Free Consultation
Were you or a family member injured due to a medical mistake? Call Baggett Law Personal Injury Lawyers to speak with an experienced Jacksonville medical malpractice lawyer today. We’ll help you fight to recover the full compensation you deserve.
Our personal injury law firm in Jacksonville, FL also provides:
- Bicycle Accident Attorney in Jacksonville
- Boating Accident Lawyer in Jacksonville, FL
- Car Accident Lawyer in Jacksonville, FL
- Dog Bite Accident Lawyer in Jacksonville
- Motorcycle Accident Lawyer in Jacksonville, FL
- Pedestrian Accident Attorney in Jacksonville, FL
- Product Liability Lawyer in Jacksonville
- Slip and Fall Accident Attorney in Jacksonville
- Truck Accident Lawyer in Jacksonville, FL
- Uber Accident Lawyer in Jacksonville, FL
- Workplace Accident Lawyer in Jacksonville