Injuries caused by medical errors are more common than many people realize. Patients can sustain life-altering injuries due to the negligence of a medical provider. Sometimes, a patient might not survive a medical error, resulting in a wrongful death.
The Jacksonville medical malpractice lawyers at Baggett Law Personal Injury Lawyers have nearly 70 years of collective legal experience. Our legal team is well-known for its legal knowledge and top results. As top-rated personal injury lawyers in Jacksonville, FL, we have recovered tens of millions of dollars for our clients since opening our law firm in 2012.
Learn more about how we can help you recover the compensation you deserve for a medical malpractice claim by calling our law firm at (904) 396-1100. Schedule a free consultation with an experienced Jacksonville never-event lawyer.
How Our Jacksonville Personal Injury Lawyers Can Help You With a Medical Malpractice Claim
The stakes are high in medical malpractice claims. You are forcing a medical professional to admit that their errors and negligence caused you harm. Unfortunately, few doctors are willing to admit their mistakes.
Our Jacksonville personal injury attorneys call attention to medical errors that should never happen. We hold the medical providers financially liable for the damages they cause. Our lawyers have a strong foundation in trial work and are talented and aggressive settlement negotiators.
Many organizations have recognized the attorneys at Baggett Law Personal Injury Lawyers for their legal experience and client services. Our lawyers have an AV-Preeminent rating from Martindale-Hubbell, its highest rating. In addition, Martindale-Hubbell awarded our law firm the 2021 Platinum Client Champion Award, its highest award for client services.
Additionally, our lawyers have been named as Super Lawyers every year since 2009. We also have been selected as Top 100 Civil Plaintiff Trial Lawyers in Florida by the National Trial Lawyers.
When you hire our top-rated, award-winning legal team, we will:
- Investigate the circumstances that led to your injuries by a medical provider
- Explain your legal options and why we recommend a specific strategy for your case
- Meticulously document medical malpractice through evidence of mistakes, errors, and other wrongdoing
- Work with the top-rated medical specialists in their field and other experts to gather additional evidence of malpractice
- Document your damages to determine how much your medical malpractice case is worth
- Aggressively advocate for you during settlement negotiations and at trial
Did a doctor or other medical professional cause you harm in Jacksonville, Florida? If so, contact our never events lawyers for a free consultation.
Never Events Are Medical Mistakes That Should Not Happen
Medical errors are a leading cause of death in the United States. A medical error is defined as a preventable adverse effect of medical care.
Never events are medical errors that should never have occurred. Dr. Ken Kizer used the term “never event” beginning in 2001. It describes a medical error that is so shocking it is hard to believe that a medical provider could make such a mistake.
Never events fall into one of seven categories:
- Procedural or surgical events
- Device or product events
- Care management events
- Radiologic events
- Patient protection events
- Environmental events
- Criminal acts
One study estimates that never events occur about 4,000 times per year in the United States. Sadly, the consequences of never events can be deadly for patients.
Examples of Never Events and Medical Malpractice in Jacksonville, FL
There is no adequate explanation for why a medical provider commits a never event. Nothing explains why a doctor or medical professional would do something so careless.
Examples of never events include, but are not limited to:
- Operating on the incorrect body part
- Leaving a foreign object inside a patient during surgery
- Performing an incorrect medical procedure
- Allowing metal objects in an MRI area
- Falls occurring in healthcare settings that cause death or severe injury
- Misusing medical devices
- Birth injuries and death to an infant in a low-risk labor and delivery
- Using contaminated medical devices
- A patient developing Stage 3 or 4 bedsores in a healthcare facility
- Discharging a patient to someone who is not authorized to care for the patient
- Medication errors that result in severe harm or death to the patient, such as giving the incorrect dose of medication or the wrong medication to a patient
Never events that rise to the level of criminal offenses can include sexual abuse and patient assault. In addition to civil penalties in a medical malpractice lawsuit, the doctor could face criminal charges.
What Damages Can I Receive in a Never Event Claim in Jacksonville, FL?
Florida medical malpractice laws allow victims to pursue damages for their economic and non-economic damages.
Damages in a never event claim can include the following:
- Past and future lost wages, including decreases in earning capacity
- Past and future medical bills, including long-term care
- Diminished quality of life and loss of enjoyment of life
- Mental anguish and emotional distress
- Disfigurement, impairment, scarring, and disability
- Physical pain and suffering
- Out-of-pocket expenses, including the cost of personal care and medical devices or equipment
A family who loses a loved one because of a never event can file a wrongful death claim against the liable medical provider.
Florida’s statute of limitations restricts the time to file wrongful death and medical malpractice claims. Therefore, contact our law firm as soon as possible to discuss your case with an attorney to avoid losing the right to pursue a legal claim for a never event injury.
Schedule a Free Consultation With Our Jacksonville Never Events Attorneys
Some medical mistakes are unforgivable. It is unthinkable how a doctor could commit such careless errors. At Baggett Law Personal Injury Lawyers, we are here to help you hold your doctor liable for the harm they caused.
Call our law office today to schedule a free case review with one of our Jacksonville medical malpractice attorneys.