Deciding to place family members in nursing homes is one of the most difficult decisions families make. However, there may come a time when your loved one requires skilled, long-term, 24/7 nursing care. Sadly, nursing home patients are often victims of elder abuse and neglect.
The Jacksonville nursing home abuse lawyers at Baggett Law Personal Injury Lawyers have fought for Jacksonville, FL nursing home residents since 2012 and are ready to fight for you, too. One of our attorneys is a nursing home abuse expert, so you can trust that we have the skill and experience to protect your loved one’s interests and help your family seek justice.
How Our Jacksonville Personal Injury Lawyers Can Help With Your Nursing Home Abuse Claim
Nursing homes owe a duty of care to their patients. They have a duty to provide adequate care in a safe environment and to protect residents from being abused or neglected.
Our personal injury attorneys in Jacksonville, FL have extensive experience handling nursing home abuse cases. We even have a nursing home abuse expert on staff, which gives us a leg up against nursing homes that try to cover up a resident’s abuse.
When you hire Baggett Law Personal Injury Lawyers to represent your loved one, you can expect us to:
- Investigate the nursing home to gather information and documentation regarding abuse and neglect allegations
- Investigate the cause of your loved one’s injury, illness, or wrongful death
- Identify the parties responsible for what happened to your family member
- Obtain and review reports from government agencies and private investigations
- Interview witnesses and demand records for your loved one’s care while at the nursing home
- File insurance claims and pursue claims in court
Call our law firm now to speak with one of our Jacksonville, Florida personal injury attorneys about your legal options.
Types of Nursing Home Abuse in Florida Long-Term Care Facilities
Nursing home abuse occurs in many forms.
Common types of abuse in nursing homes include:
- Physical abuse
- Psychological and emotional abuse
- Sexual abuse
- Neglect and abandonment
- Financial abuse and exploitation
- Verbal abuse
Visiting your loved one as often as possible and at unannounced times is one of the best ways to spot nursing home abuse. Knowing the signs of abuse and ensuring everyone who visits your loved one knows the signs of abuse can also help you notice elder abuse and neglect earlier.
What Are the Consequences of Nursing Home Abuse for Residents?
The consequences of nursing home abuse are devastating. A victim of nursing home abuse may sustain injuries and permanent impairments. In addition, some residents die from abuse and neglect.
Some of the results and signs of nursing home abuse and neglect include:
- Physical injuries and unexplained bruising
- Broken bones and fractures from unattended falls
- Urinary tract infections
- Dehydration and malnutrition
- Sexually transmitted diseases and infections
- Withdrawal and isolation
- Bedsores or pressure sores
- Unexplained weight loss
- Choking injuries
- Extreme fear and anxiety at being left alone
- Fear of staff members
- Emotional and psychological suffering
If you notice any changes in your loved one’s mood, personality, or health, seek immediate medical attention. If the nursing home refuses to call a doctor or ambulance, you can do so. When a nursing home resident is in immediate danger, call 911 to report the abuse and request help.
How Should I Prepare for a Meeting with a Jacksonville Nursing Home Abuse Lawyer?
Preparing for your initial consultation can help our lawyers evaluate your loved one’s situation to get them help as soon as possible.
Documents to bring with you to the first appointment include:
- Medical records, including records from nursing home, hospitals, and physicians
- The contract or agreement with the nursing home
- Documents provided by the nursing home since your family member moved into the facility
- List of doctors and hospitals that treated your family member before going into the nursing home
- Medical records related to the current injury or health condition
- Photographs of your loved one’s injuries
- Statements made by eyewitnesses and their contact information
Nursing home abuse and neglect should not be tolerated. It must be stopped. Report abuse and neglect in nursing homes to the Agency for Health Care Administration for the State of Florida.
You can use the Florida Health Care Complaint Portal to file a complaint. You should report signs of neglect and abuse in nursing homes immediately and seek legal advice.
Filing Claims for Nursing Home Abuse and Neglect
If your family member was abused or neglected in a nursing home, they might be entitled to compensation for their injuries and damages.
They may receive compensation for their:
- Medical bills
- Cost of moving and relocating
- Mental anguish
- Physical pain and suffering
- Emotional distress
- Physical injuries
- Reduced quality of life
Our Jacksonville nursing home abuse attorneys will assist you and your loved one in holding the parties responsible for the abuse accountable for their negligence and wrongdoing.
The nursing home, administrators, owners, staff members, and other parties might be named as parties in a nursing home abuse lawsuit.
Schedule a Free Consultation With Our Jacksonville Nursing Home Abuse Lawyers
Your loved one deserves to be treated with respect. Elder abuse and neglect must be stopped.
Contact our office to schedule a free consultation with one of our personal injury attorneys in Jacksonville, FL to discuss your legal options. Our nursing home abuse expert can help you protect your loved one and seek justice for their abuse.
Jacksonville, FL Nursing Home Abuse Lawyer Review
Read more of our Google Reviews.
Our personal injury law firm in Jacksonville, FL also provides:
- Bicycle Accident Attorney in Jacksonville
- Boating Accident Lawyer in Jacksonville, FL
- Car Accident Lawyer in Jacksonville, FL
- Dog Bite Accident Lawyer in Jacksonville
- Motorcycle Accident Lawyer in Jacksonville, FL
- Pedestrian Accident Attorney in Jacksonville, FL
- Product Liability Lawyer in Jacksonville
- Slip and Fall Accident Attorney in Jacksonville
- Truck Accident Lawyer in Jacksonville, FL
- Uber Accident Lawyer in Jacksonville, FL
- Workplace Accident Lawyer in Jacksonville
Jacksonville, FL Hospitals
- HCA Florida Memorial Hospital – 3625 University Blvd S, Jacksonville, FL 32216
- Florida Health – 3901 University Blvd S, Jacksonville, FL 32216
- Ascension St. Vincent’s Riverside – 1 Shircliff Way, Jacksonville, FL 32204, United States
*Disclaimer – we do not endorse these companies or profit from having them listed on our website.
Jacksonville Nursing Home Abuse Blog Posts
- Are Hospitals and Nursing Homes Responsible for Bedsores?
- How to Protect Jacksonville Nursing Home Residents with Dementia from Abuse
- What Are Some Examples of Patient Neglect in Nursing Homes in Florida?