Sadly, nursing home medication errors are common, and they are often preventable adverse events. In a 2014 report by the Office of Inspector General regarding adverse events in nursing homes, 37% of the adverse events were related to medication. Nursing home negligence and neglect are common causes of medication errors.
Our Jacksonville nursing home abuse lawyers at Baggett Law Personal Injury Lawyers are dedicated to fighting for justice. We stand up for the rights of nursing home residents to quality, skilled care. Our lawyers work to hold negligent individuals and parties accountable for their actions.
Contact our law office to schedule a free consultation with an experienced Jacksonville nursing home medication error lawyer at (904) 396-1100. We are here to help you and your loved one fight your claim in Jacksonville, Florida.
How Our Jacksonville Nursing Home Abuse Lawyers Can Help Your Loved One After a Medication Error
Nursing home abuse and neglect cases can be challenging to pursue. You need an experienced legal team to represent your family member. Our Jacksonville personal injury attorneys at Baggett Law Personal Injury Lawyers have over 69 years of combined legal experience.
Our attorneys received the Martindale-Hubbell 2021 Platinum Client Champion Award, the highest award for client services the company issues. We also have an AV Preeminent rating, the top peer rating by Martindale-Hubbell. In addition, our attorneys have been named as Super Lawyers each year since 2009 and were selected as Top 100 Civil Plaintiff Trial Lawyers in Florida by National Trial Lawyers.
Since 2012, our lawyers have recovered millions of dollars in damages for our clients in Jacksonville, FL.
When you hire our award-winning legal team, you can expect us to:
- Conduct a thorough investigation to determine how your loved one was injured
- Work with the resident’s doctors and medical specialists to gather evidence
- Identify all parties responsible for the medication error
- File insurance claims and handle all matters related to settlements
- Monitor investigations of the nursing home and its employees by government entities
- File a lawsuit and argue the case in court, if necessary
We’ll diligently pursue a claim for your loved one. Our legal team does not give up until we have exhausted every legal option to recover compensation for a nursing home resident.
Call us today to schedule a free case evaluation with one of our experienced Jacksonville nursing home abuse attorneys.
What Is a Medication Error in a Nursing Home?
Medication errors are preventable events involving medication under the control of a healthcare professional that can lead to patient harm. Nursing home staff members are responsible for dispensing prescription drugs and over-the-counter medications to patients as prescribed by physicians. Mistakes in dispensing medications can have deadly consequences.
Common nursing home medication errors include:
- Giving a patient the wrong medication
- Dispensing the incorrect dosage
- Failing to give a patient medication or giving medications at the wrong time
- Documentation errors and mistakes
- Using incorrect procedures for giving medications, such as giving medicine without food when the medication must be taken with meals
- Failing to monitor residents after giving them medication
- Skipping medication doses
- Using expired medications
Mistakes can happen in a nursing home setting. However, skilled providers are held to a high standard of care.
Failing to meet the standard of care can be considered negligence. Willful medication errors could be an intentional tort. In some cases, medication errors could be criminal acts of elder abuse.
Why Do Medication Errors Happen in Jacksonville Nursing Homes?
Nursing home abuse and neglect are the most common causes of medication errors in long-term care facilities. Staff members either do not care that they are not providing the correct medication to a patient, or their conduct rises to the level of negligence.
Causes of medication errors in nursing homes include:
- Poor medication management systems
- Neglect and abuse of patients
- Failing to supervise staff members
- Inadequate training
- Hiring inexperienced and unqualified nurses and staff members
- Using medication belonging to another patient
- Ignoring medical orders from a physician or medical provider
- Theft of medications in nursing homes
- Failing to monitor residents to ensure they take their medication
When a nursing home is negligent, it can be held liable for damages and harm to the patient. Damages caused by medication errors include physical injuries, financial losses, and emotional distress.
Common Injuries Caused By Nursing Home Medication Errors
Medication errors can result in the following:
- Uncontrolled pain
- Organ failure or damage
- A worsened medical condition
- New complications or symptoms
- A medical condition that does not heal as expected
If you believe your loved one is the victim of nursing home medication errors, talk to their doctor. Ask for copies of the doctor’s orders and records from the nursing home. Make notes about your family member’s condition and symptoms.
Contact Florida’s Adult Protective Services and file a complaint with the Florida Agency for Health Care Administration. You can also contact our office to discuss protecting your loved one from nursing home abuse.
Schedule a Free Consultation With Our Jacksonville Nursing Home Medication Error Attorneys
Medication errors can cause devastating injuries and life-threatening conditions. In some cases, a medication error results in a wrongful death. Contact our law firm for a free consultation with an experienced Jacksonville personal injury lawyer.