Were you or a loved one injured in a slip and fall accident in Jacksonville, Florida? If so, you could be entitled to seek compensation for your medical bills, lost wages, and pain and suffering.
The Jacksonville slip and fall lawyers at Baggett Law Personal Injury Lawyers are ready to help you recover the money you deserve. Since 2012, we’ve been standing up for those injured by careless acts. We’ve recovered tens of millions of dollars for clients throughout Northeast Florida.
Contact our Jacksonville, FL law firm today by calling us at (904) 396-1100 for your free consultation.
How Our Jacksonville Personal Injury Lawyers Can Help After a Slip and Fall Accident
Getting injured in a fall is not only scary, but it can also cause a costly and lengthy recovery. While you’re taking time to get the rest that you need to get better, Baggett Law Personal Injury Lawyers can handle everything else.
When you hire our award-winning Jacksonville personal injury attorneys, we’ll:
- Launch a full investigation into the cause of your accident
- Collect and preserve evidence to support your case
- Calculate damages that will compensate you for all your injuries
- Handle all claims and communications with insurance companies and at-fault parties
- Negotiate for a settlement fair and favorable to you
- Send a top-rated trial lawyer to fight for you in court if faced with an unfair offer
We have 69 years of experience handling complex litigation matters. Helping people through tough situations is what we do.
And we know money is tight after an accident. Medical bills, time away from work. It adds up fast. That’s why we work on a contingent fee basis. We front all the costs for your lawsuit so that you don’t have to pay anything for us to get started. And, if we don’t win, you don’t owe us a dime.
How Common Are Slip and Fall Accidents in Jacksonville, FL?
Falls are the number one reason for non-fatal hospitalizations in Duval County.
In fact, the number of people hospitalized in Duval County due to falls has increased every year from 2018-2020:
- 2018: 2,612
- 2019: 2,693
- 2020: 2,709
These include slip and falls as well as other falling injuries, such as trips and falls and falling from heights. On average, more than 7 people a day are hospitalized due to falls.
Fatalities from falls in Duval County increased as well during that time period:
- 2018: 99
- 2019: 103
- 2020: 129
Generally, the odds of dying from a fall are 1 in 106, about the same as dying in a car accident.
What is My Slip and Fall Accident Case Worth?
Every case is different. Most cases are worth more than you think. You can recover more than just your medical bills. We’ll do everything we can to maximize your award.
Some factors that can affect the value of your slip and fall case include:
- The cost of your medical care
- How your injuries affect your ability to work
- The amount of lost wages
- Whether you’re disabled in any capacity
- The extent of emotional or mental trauma caused by the accident
- Whether you were partially at fault
- The amount of insurance coverage available
We’re happy to sit down at no charge for an initial case evaluation. That will give you a chance to ask any questions you may have. And we can let you know your legal options and give you an idea of what to expect through the process. There’s no obligation to you.
I Slipped and Fell in Jacksonville – What Kind of Damages Can I Get?
You can seek compensation in a personal injury case for all damages related to your fall. Damages fall into two general categories: (1) economic; and (2) non-economic.
Economic damages should make you financially whole.
They can cover things like:
- Medical treatment
- Past and future lost wages
- Physical therapy
- Vocational rehabilitation
- Property damage
Economic damages are generally available for any monetary losses related to your injuries.
Non-economic damages, on the other hand, are less tangible. These often include things generally referred to as pain and suffering.
Non-economic damages can include compensation for:
- Physical pain
- Emotional or psychological trauma
- Loss of consortium
Punitive damages are another category of potential recovery, but they’re rarely awarded. The purpose of punitive damages is to punish the defendant for malicious or extremely reckless behavior. They’re intended to be a deterrent and penalty. If your case warrants it, we’ll certainly include them.
What Happens If I’m Being Blamed for a Slip and Fall Accident in Florida – Can I Still Get Money?
Yes – unless you share most of the blame. Under Florida law, liability for negligence cases is divided according to fault. So if you’re partially responsible, you can’t be compensated for the portion of the accident caused by your own negligence. That means any award you get will be reduced by the portion of the accident that you’re responsible for.
On an award of $100,000, you’d still recover $80,000 if you’re found to be 20% responsible. However, if you’re found to be 51% or more responsible, you’d be barred from recovering compensation under Florida’s modified comparative negligence standard.
A common tactic of insurance companies is to blame the victim. Baggett Law Personal Injury Lawyers is committed to putting up a strong fight against any unfair allegations that you’re to blame.
What Injuries Do Slips and Falls Usually Cause?
Many types of injuries can occur from slip and fall accidents. Injuries can range from minor to catastrophic, especially for older adults.
Our Jacksonville slip and fall attorneys handle cases with all types of injuries, including:
- Broken bones
- Traumatic brain injuries
- Concussions and other head injuries
- Back injuries
- Neck injuries
- Soft tissue damage
- Nerve damage
- Wrongful death of a loved one
You should seek medical attention as soon as possible after you’re injured, even if you don’t feel badly hurt. Many injuries aren’t visible and may worsen with time. No matter what your injury, we work diligently to make sure you’re compensated for all your losses.
What Causes Most Slip and Fall Accidents in Jacksonville, Florida?
Of course, sometimes people just fall and no one is to blame. But many slip and fall accidents are due to property owners negligently creating a dangerous condition.
Some common causes of slip, trip, and fall accidents in Jacksonville are:
- Wet floors
- Uneven or torn carpet
- Broken tiles or sidewalks
- Broken or missing handrails
- Poor lighting on stairs, garages, or walkways
- Broken or crumbling concrete or asphalt
- Debris in walkways
- Loose or unsecured cords or wires
- Ineffective or nonexistent signage for hazardous conditions
Determining the cause is critical to identifying the liable party. Ownership of the property may not always be clear. There’s often a maintenance company or contractor involved. Let Baggett Law Personal Injury Lawyers investigate for you and find out who needs to be held accountable.
How Do I Prove Negligence After a Slip and Fall Accident in Florida?
Slip and fall accidents are a type of premises liability case. They’re usually based on a theory that the property owner was negligent in allowing a dangerous condition to exist on the premises.
To prove negligence, you’ll have to prove:
- The property owner owed you a duty of care to fix or warn you of a dangerous condition on their property
- The property owner breached the duty of care
- The failure to maintain the property in a safe condition caused your injuries
- You suffered damages as a result
A property owner’s duty of care will depend on why you were on the property.
In general, unless you were trespassing, the property owner has a duty to maintain the property in a reasonably safe condition. There’s a higher standard for property owners such as businesses and restaurants. They must routinely inspect their premises for dangers, fix known hazards, or warn customers of hazards that can’t be fixed immediately.
Under Florida premises liability law, if your injury was caused by a substance spilled on the floor of a business property, you must also prove that the business had actual or constructive knowledge of the dangerous condition.
If you slipped and fell on private property, the standard will be lower. Generally, homeowners and renters have a duty to warn guests about known hazards. But they don’t have to inspect or repair conditions for their guests.
What’s the Statute of Limitations For a Slip and Fall Lawsuit in Florida?
The statute of limitations for most personal injury lawsuits was recently changed. If your accident happened on or before 3/23/2023, you’ll have four years to file a claim; otherwise, you’ll have two years. If a loved one was fatally injured in a slip and fall accident, you’ll also need to file a wrongful death lawsuit within two years.
There are some possible exceptions, such as for lawsuits against a government agency. In that case, you’ll usually have up to three years to file an injury lawsuit. You may have to meet other requirements.
It’s in your best interest to contact a Jacksonville personal injury attorney as soon as possible after your injury. You don’t want to risk missing a deadline. That could prevent you from getting any financial compensation. And filing any lawsuit requires a number of technical requirements that generally require the help of an experienced lawyer.
Contact Our Jacksonville Slip and Fall Accident Lawyers For a Free Consultation
If you slipped and fell because of someone’s carelessness, you deserve to be fully compensated. Let a Jacksonville slip and fall accident lawyer at Baggett Law Personal Injury Lawyers investigate your case and help you recover the money you need. Since 2012, we’ve helped hundreds of families get the money they need after an accident.
An experienced lawyer will personally handle your case from beginning to end.
Call our Jacksonville, FL law office today for a free consultation.
Our personal injury law firm in Jacksonville, FL also provides:
- Bicycle Accident Attorney in Jacksonville
- Boating Accident Lawyer in Jacksonville, FL
- Car Accident Lawyer in Jacksonville, FL
- Dog Bite Accident Lawyer in Jacksonville
- Motorcycle Accident Lawyer in Jacksonville, FL
- Pedestrian Accident Attorney in Jacksonville, FL
- Product Liability Lawyer in Jacksonville
- Truck Accident Lawyer in Jacksonville, FL
- Uber Accident Lawyer in Jacksonville, FL
- Workplace Accident Lawyer in Jacksonville
Jacksonville Slip and Fall Accident Client Review
Jacksonville Physical Therapists
- Take Control Physical Therapy Centers – 9471 Baymeadows Rd Suite 205, Jacksonville, FL 32256
- Rebound Rehabilitation – Southside – 8081 Philips Hwy Suite 5, Jacksonville, FL 32256
- Australian Physiotherapy Specialists – 4745 Sutton Park Ct Suite 803, Jacksonville, FL 32224
- MOTION RX Performance Physical Therapy – Jacksonville – 7901 Baymeadows Way Suite 17, Jacksonville, FL 32256
- Select Physical Therapy – 8101 Southside Blvd Suite #9, Jacksonville, FL 32256
*Disclaimer – we do not endorse these companies or profit from having them listed on our website.