Being injured in a distracted driving accident is the last thing anyone expects. However, distracted driving crashes are common in Jacksonville, FL. If a distracted driver injured you, you could be entitled to substantial financial compensation for your injuries, financial losses, and other damages.
At Baggett Law Personal Injury Lawyers, our Jacksonville personal injury attorneys have over 80 years of combined legal experience. We are top-rated injury lawyers who will do everything we can to recover maximum compensation for your damages.
How Can Our Jacksonville Car Accident Lawyers Help You With a Distracted Driving Claim?
Distracted driving is one of the leading causes of car accidents in Jacksonville, Florida. And make no mistake about it; there are many distractions in Jacksonville, from cell phones and electronics to beaches and buildings.
However, it can be difficult to recover compensation if you are involved in a distracted driving accident — at least without a Jacksonville car accident attorney.
At Baggett Law Personal Injury Lawyers, our legal team has over eight decades of combined experience handling car accident claims. Moreover, we’ve recovered millions for our injured clients.
When you hire one of our personal injury lawyers to handle your injury claim, you can expect us to:
- Provide client-focused service by handling all aspects of your injury case
- Investigate the car accident thoroughly and gather evidence to prove negligence, fault, and liability
- Work with you and your doctors to document your injuries and damages
- Provide efficient, cost-effective legal representation
- Hire expert witnesses, as necessary, to work on your case
- Negotiate for maximum compensation of all damages
- Careful consideration of all options to find the best resolution for your case
Learn more about how we make a difference in the lives of our clients. Call now for your free case evaluation with a Jacksonville car accident lawyer.
How Common Are Distracted Driving Accidents in Jacksonville and Duval County?
In 2020, the Florida Highway Safety and Motor Vehicles (FHSMV) reported that over 129,400 people were involved in distracted driving accidents statewide according to the statistics. That figure includes 314 traffic deaths and 2,753 incapacitating injuries from distracted driving. With those figures, it is easy to understand why Florida ranked as the second-worst state for distracted driving in one study.
Florida law prohibits texting while driving. Furthermore, drivers are prohibited from using wireless communications devices in a handheld manner when in school and work zones. Unfortunately, it does not appear that the texting while driving law is being enforced, which could be why distracted driving accidents continue to be a problem.
Causes of Distracted Driving Accidents in Jacksonville, FL
Texting while driving and using cell phones are two of the most common causes of distracted driving accidents. Other common causes include:
- Reading, sending, or typing emails and text messages
- Using handheld electronic devices while driving
- Adjusting the vehicle controls and radio stations
- Reaching for objects in the vehicle or searching through bags for items
- Daydreaming or watching things outside of the vehicle
- Caring for pets and children in the car
- Changing clothes, grooming, and putting on makeup
- Eating and drinking or unwrapping food items
Any activity that takes your mind away from driving could be deadly. The worst distractions while driving are activities that involve all three types of distraction: visual, physical, and cognitive. A distracted driver only needs to take their eyes off the road for just a second to cause a car crash.
Holding a Distracted Driving Liable for Damages
Distracted driving accidents can result in catastrophic injuries. In some cases, victims sustain life-threatening conditions that result in permanent disabilities.
Injuries caused by distracted driving include:
- Brain damage
- Spinal cord injury
- Back and neck injuries
- Soft tissue injuries
- Broken bones and fractures
- Amputations and loss of limbs
- Severe burns and disfigurement
- Damage to internal organs
If you sustained serious injuries because of a distracted driving accident, you could file a claim with the other driver’s insurance company for:
- Past, present, and future medical expenses, nursing care, and personal care
- Disabilities and permanent impairments
- Physical, emotional, and mental pain and suffering
- Scarring and disfigurement
- Past, present, and future loss of income, diminished earning potential, and loss of benefits
- Reduced quality of life and loss of enjoyment of life
- Property damage for vehicle damage and personal property damage
- Wrongful death
The value of your claim will depend on the facts of your case. Our legal team at Baggett Law Personal Injury Lawyers works diligently to document your damages to recover maximum compensation in any type of car accident, including:
- Airbag Injuries
- DUI Crashes
- Head-on Crashes
- Highway Accidents
- Hit and run Crashes
- Intersection Crashes
- Lane Change Crashes
- Left-Turn Accidents
- Multi-Vehicle Accidents
- Parking Lot Accidents
- Red and Yellow Light Collisions
- Rollover Accidents
- Seat Belt Injuries
- Single-Vehicle Accidents
- Speeding Accidents
- Uninsured Motorist Claims
- U-Turn Accidents
- And More.
What is the Deadline for Filing a Lawsuit for a Distracted Driving Accident in Jacksonville, FL?
The deadline to file lawsuits for most personal injury lawsuits was recently changed in the State of Florida. There is a foury-year deadline for accidents occurring on or before 3/23/2023, and a two-year deadline for crashes that happen after that date. However, there are exceptions to the Florida statute of limitations.
Therefore, seeking legal advice as soon as possible after a car accident is always in your best interest. Waiting to talk with a lawyer could result in mistakes that cost you thousands of dollars in compensation.
Contact A Jacksonville, FL Car Crash Lawyer at Baggett Law Personal Injury Lawyers for a Free Consultation
If you or your child were injured in a distracted driving car accident, contact our law firm to schedule a free consultation with one of our experienced Jacksonville distracted driving accident lawyers. Let us help you get the money you deserve for damages and injuries from a motor vehicle accident.