What Should My Teenager Do If They Are in a Car Accident in Jacksonville, FL?
Receiving a phone call in the middle of the night that your child has been involved in a car accident can be one of the most terrifying experiences imaginable. According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), 40% of motor vehicle crash deaths among teenagers occurred between 9 p.m. and 6 a.m.
Far before you find yourself in this position, try to talk to your teen about safe driving and what to do in case of an accident. The car accident lawyers at Baggett Law Personal Injury Lawyers are here to help you through the claims process following a teen accident.
The Duty To Report Car Accidents in Florida
Florida law requires anyone involved in a crash that results in bodily injury, death, or property damage of more than $500 is required to report the accident to the local police department, county sheriff, or Florida Highway Patrol. Additionally, they are required to stop at the scene of the accident, render aid, and exchange information, including:
- Their name
- Their address
- The registration number of the vehicle they are driving
They must also show their driver’s license if requested by another party involved in the accident or law enforcement.
Florida Personal Injury Protection Insurance
Florida is one of a handful of states that currently uses a no-fault system for car accidents. If someone is involved in an accident, they turn to their Personal Injury Protection (PIP) coverage.
According to the Florida Highway Safety and Motor Vehicles, any vehicle with a current Florida registration must be insured with a minimum of $10,000 in PIP insurance and a minimum of $10,000 in Property Damage Liability (PDL) coverage.
What To Do After a Car Accident
Here is a brief checklist of things to do after a car accident in Jacksonville, FL:
- Stay calm.
- Move the car to safety.
- Report the accident. Notify authorities if anyone is injured.
- Seek immediate medical attention.
- Ask the other driver for their name, address, phone number, driver’s license number, insurance information, and vehicle information.
- Do not admit fault or blame anyone else for the accident. The authorities can investigate and determine fault, and doing so could hurt any claim for compensation you make down the line.
- Take pictures of the accident scene, the damage to the vehicles, and any injuries you sustained.
- Ask the police officer for information on how to get a copy of the accident report and for their name and badge number.
Above all else, communicate to your child that the most important thing is to focus on your health.
How You Can Help Your Teen After a Car Crash
As the adult in the situation, there are things you can do to help in the situation. For example, you can:
- Get to the scene of the accident quickly to help out there, if possible
- Request a copy of the accident report
- Contact your insurance company and report the accident
- Contact roadside assistance and request a tow for your vehicle, if necessary
- Instruct your child not to comment about the accident to friends or on social media
- Schedule medical appointments for your child to check for injuries
- Demonstrate to your child that the most important thing is their health
Car accidents can be terrifying, especially for inexperienced drivers. If your child shows signs of depression, anxiety, or vehophobia after the accident, consider seeking mental health treatment for them. Also, consider reaching out to an experienced car accident lawyer for help. A lawyer can help take care of the details and any legal claims so you can focus on your child’s health.
Contact the Jacksonville Car Accident Law Firm of Baggett Law Personal Injury Lawyers Today For Help
For more information, please contact the Jacksonville and Ponte Vedra car accident law firm of Baggett Law Personal Injury Lawyers at the nearest location to schedule a free consultation today.
We serve Duval County, St. Johns County, and its surrounding areas:
Baggett Law Personal Injury Lawyers – Jacksonville
9471 Baymeadows Rd #105,
Jacksonville, FL 32256
Baggett Law Personal Injury Lawyers – Ponte Vedra
480 Town Plaza Ave #130,
Ponte Vedra Beach, FL 32081